Bluford Shops products are not intended for children under 14.
Past Releases - N Scale 2-Bay Offset Side Hoppers.
Baltimore & Ohio had more than 21,000 of these hoppers acquired over a 20 year span. That’s enough to make a train 140 miles long! This group was built in 1956 and ’57 at B&O’s shops in DuBois, Pennsylvania. This run will be available in six road numbers.
66021 Baltimore & Ohio billboard single
66022 Baltimore & Ohio billboard 2-pack
66023 Baltimore & Ohio billboard 3-pack
Chicago & Eastern Illinois took delivery of their second group of these hoppers from Pullman Standard in late 1945 – early 1946. These cars had dark gray bodies with black underbodies and brake gear and white lettering. C&EI served the large Illinois Coal Basin. This run will be available in six road numbers.
66031 Chicago & Eastern Illinois dark gray single
66032 Chicago & Eastern Illinois dark gray 2-pack
66033 Chicago & Eastern Illinois dark gray 3-pack
Erie Railroad was early to adopt this design with the first cars arriving in 1934. This paint scheme featuring the large diamond logo was adopted in 1947. In addition to bituminous coal and anthracite traffic, Erie also moved a considerable amount of sand, stone and ore. This run will be available in six road numbers.
66041 Erie large diamond single
66042 Erie large diamond 2-pack
66043 Erie large diamond 3-pack
Northern Pacific received this group of hoppers from American Car & Foundry in 1941. They are presented here as they appeared after 1967 with ACI tags applied. NP loaded a fair share of lignite which is a low-BTU form of coal. This run will be available in six road numbers.
66051 Northern Pacific post-1967 single
66052 Northern Pacific post-1967 2-pack
66053 Northern Pacific post-1967 3-pack
New York Central received this 1,000 car group from Pressed Steel Car in March of 1945. While many NYC 2-bay offset hoppers were shorter than the AAR standard design, this group did follow the 33’ IH standard. Note the road numbers are further to the left than usually seen on their shorter cousins. This run will be available in six road numbers.
66061 New York Central single
66062 New York Central 2-pack
66063 New York Central 3-pack
Bangor & Aroostook received their 2-bay offset side hoppers from American Car & Foundry in December of 1944. Originally numbered in the 3900 series, the whole fleet was renumbered in 1952 and subsequently received BAR’s jaunty shield logo. This run will be available in three road numbers.
66071 Bangor & Aroostook single
66072 Bangor & Aroostook 2-pack
Gulf Mobile & Ohio received this group of cars from Pullman Standard in June, 1949. GM&O’s recent acquisition of the Alton Railroad greatly increased the amount of coal loaded on the line. This run will be available in three road numbers.
66081 Gulf Mobile & Ohio single
66082 Gulf Mobile & Ohio 2-pack
Lehigh & New England received this group of hoppers from Bethlehem Steel in February, 1942. LNE’s familiar “fried egg” logo was applied to the middle of the car during this period. This run will be available in three road numbers.
66091 Lehigh & New England single
66092 Lehigh & New England 2-pack
South Buffalo Railway received this group of hoppers from their parent company Bethlehem Steel in 1949. The SB was a busy 60 mile line serving heavy industry in the Lackawanna, New York area. It merged into Buffalo & Pittsburgh in 2001. This run will be available in three road numbers.
66101 South Buffalo single
66102 South Buffalo 2-pack
Soo Line received this group of hoppers from Pullman Standard in 1937 and assigned them to their Wisconsin Central subsidiary. Note the little WC in the upper left corner. This run includes “stone” loads instead of coal as these were much more common on Soo Line (and match our previously released Soo and DSS&A 3-bay hoppers.) This run will be available in three road numbers – all of which are odd numbers as was the practice for Soo Line hoppers.
66111 Soo Line single
66112 Soo Line 2-pack
Cambria & Indiana was a shortline linking its namesake counties in Pennsylvania. C&I had always owned many more hoppers than they could possibly load on their own line. This large fleet was rented to other railroads to load where they were needed. In 1950, the railroad was sold to Bethlehem Steel who could then keep their own freight car production lines busy between orders building hoppers for the C&I which could then be rented out. This group was built in 1952.
66121 Cambria & Indiana single
66122 Cambria & Indiana 2-pack
This Chesapeake & Ohio paint scheme was adopted for use on their 2-Bay Offset Side Hoppers in 1948 and continued to be applied until 1954 when a small change was made to the “For Progress” logo. C&O’s hopper fleet was immense. This group encompassed 5,000 cars split between three builders.
66131 Chesapeake & Ohio post-1948 single
66132 Chesapeake & Ohio post-1948 2-pack
66133 Chesapeake & Ohio post-1948 3-pack
The fortunes of the Delaware & Hudson had been built on anthracite but by the early 1970s, anthracite traffic was but a memory and this group of hoppers was assigned for loading ilmenite tailings in Tahawas, New York likely for delivery to processors in New Jersey and Missouri. Ilmenite is the ore from which titanium is produced. We are including “ilmenite” loads for this run.
66141 Delaware & Hudson ilmenite svc. single
66142 Delaware & Hudson ilmenite svc. 2-pack
66143 Delaware & Hudson ilmentie svc. 3-pack
*Load is not shown on this production sample.
Frisco took delivery of this group of hoppers from Mt. Vernon Car in 1948. SLSF generated a surprising amount of coal from regions in eastern Kansas, Oklahoma, and western Arkansas as well as an important deposit in northern Alabama. Much of this coal was interchanged to connecting lines for delivery to steel mills.
66151 Frisco black single
66152 Frisco black 2-pack
66153 Frisco black 3-pack
Litchfield & Madison was a 44 mile railroad linking Madison, Illinois (across the Mississippi River from St. Louis) and Litchfield. They funneled through traffic from Chicago & North Western and Illinois Central to the St. Louis area and loaded coal from large deposits along the line. This group of offset side hoppers was built just after America’s entry into the Second World War. For some reason, the order seemed to have been split between cars with Wine-style corner pleats (favored by C&NW and featured on our models) and Enterprise-style pleats (favored by IC.) The L&M was merged into Chicago & North Western in 1958.
66161 Litchfield & Madison single
66162 Litchfield & Madison 2-pack
Pittsburg & Shawmut picked up this group of 200 hoppers on the secondhand market in 1960. They had previously made up part of the Erie Railroad fleet. The P&S during this period was an 88 mile line linking Brockway and Freeport, Pennsylvania. Most of the traffic was coal loaded along the line that was interchanged to other lines for final delivery.
66171 Pittsburg & Shawmut single
66172 Pittsburg & Shawmut 2-pack
This Reading speed letter paint scheme was adopted following the abandonment of the “Road Of Anthracite” motto. Reading continued to load a considerable amount of bituminous coal. A number of cars from this group were leased to Reading’s parent Baltimore & Ohio to relieve a severe hopper shortage on that line. Much of this fleet was intact at the time of the Conrail consolidation in 1976.
66181 Reading speed letter single
66182 Reading speed letter 2-pack
66183 Reading speed letter 3-pack
Texas & Pacific took delivery of this group of hoppers in 1938 from Bethlehem Steel. The fleet survived nearly intact a decade into the diesel era before retirements even began. It’s likely these cars were used to carry lignite and petroleum coke (we are including black loads to reflect either of these cargoes) and stone.
66191 Texas & Pacific single
66192 Texas & Pacific 2-pack
Some of the above pictures show the cars with track, scenery and even other cars for a bit of context. Obviously the cars in question don't include that stuff - but you knew that already.